Fall Asleep Naturally With The Help Of These Honey Remedies
People have been using natural remedies based on honey for ages.
In the European countries, people claim that one cup of warm milk combined with one teaspoon of honey taken before going to bed can help you fall asleep faster, while the Chinese claim that one teaspoon of honey every night will facilitate your process of falling asleep and make you sleep tighter.
There is also an old homemade remedy which includes 2 teaspoons of honey combined with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 glass of warm water. This is also taken before going to bed. Mexican people take 1 cup of chamomile tea with 1 teaspoon of raw honey. There are also similar recipes which include 1 cup of passionflower tea with 1 teaspoon of honey or simply a glass of warm water combined with a teaspoon of honey. Combine honey in any way you like right before you go to bed and you’ll see the amazing results very fast!
How Can Honey Act On Our Sleep?
According to Mike McInnis, who is a Scottish author, researcher and pharmacist, honey can help us improve our overall health and with that, our complete sleep. Taking honey regularly will help us have enough liver glycogen stores that are necessary for sleeping well for 8 hours. Our levels of blood sugar will be stabilized and we’ll have enough melatonin released. We need it to rebuild and recover our body tissues while we sleep.
This is what the author calls the HYMN cycle (honey-insulin-melatonin cycle).
Here’s how the cycle looks like if we start taking 1-2 tablespoons of honey right before we go to sleep:
- When we intake the honey, it goes in our gut, circulates through the liver and starts creating a glucose spike which isn’t very high.
- This is what releases insulin from our pancreas which is being controlled.
- When insulin is present in our general circulation it causes tryptophan to go into the brain.
- Then, tryptophan becomes serotonin which is the key hormone for promotion of relaxation.
- When it’s dark, in the pineal gland serotonin becomes melatonin.
- Some body mechanisms like our body temperature become reduced when melatonin activates our sleep. More insulin becomes released from our pancreas then which doesn’t allow our blood sugar to drop fast.
- Then, the growth hormone becomes released. It is very important for the recovery which appears while we sleep.
- Many other recovery hormones which help our body and organ tissues rebuild appear. The muscles and the bones and also improved.
- While we’re in our REM phase of sleep, melatonin starts helping us to create neural cell adhesion molecules. We need them to process short-term memory from our hippocampus that will later become long-term memory in our brain cortex.
- The most important role belongs to the fructose from the honey. It is converted into glucose by our liver. After a while, it becomes liver glycogen, so our brain has enough glucose for the night period.
- This doesn’t allow us having some greater insulin spikes.
- When we have enough glycogen, the stress hormones don’t need to be released.
Still, there has to be more research done on the subject how honey improves our sleep cycle.
Related: TOP 10 Best Natural Remedies Books