What is Moringa
Moringa trees grow mostly in India, Pakistan, the Philippines, and Nepal. Moringa grows easily like weeds, sometimes reaching 6 meters high in a single year and blooming within six months. All parts of the tree are edible, from roots, flowers, leaves, seeds, fruits, and bark.
Moringa is usually consumed by cooking its leaves or unripe fruits and more recently the powder from its dry leaves is used as a tea or sprinkled on food. Although there are 13 species in the Moringa family, the most common is the oleifera tree. It grows fast, is drought-tolerant and thrives on poor sandy soils. Moringa can be grown almost anywhere, as long as the temperature remains above 4°C.
Moringa has been used as a herbal medicine in many cultures for hundreds of years and is known as a very nutritious plant used to combat malnutrition in third world countries especially for infants and nursing mothers.
What is Moringa Health Benefits
Moringa has 7 times more vitamin C than an orange, 4 times the amount of vitamin A than carrot, and 25 times more iron than spinach (source). It is estimated to contain 2 grams of protein, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin, Magnesium. Each nutrient positively affects various aspects of physical health. It also reduces the feeling of hunger thus, causes less eating throughout the day.
Moringa is used as a traditional drug for many diseases with scientifically supported health benefits from the consumption of Moringa leaves. Some of the benefits of consuming Moringa leaves are:
- Nutrient Density: ‘It has a high density of nutrients with significant amounts of Vitamin A, C, E, Calcium, Potassium, and Protein.
- Antioxidant: High content of antioxidants (source) called flavonoids, polyphenol and ascorbic acid making it a wonderful anti-aging aid.
- Anti-inflammatory: Inflammations can lead to chronic conditions such as diabetes, respiratory problems, cardiovascular disease, arthritis, and obesity. Moringa reduces inflammation by suppressing inflammatory enzymes and proteins in the body and significantly reduces inflammation in cells (source).
- Diabetes/high sugar: Moringa is very effective in reducing lipid and glucose levels and regulating oxidative stress in diabetic patients, which means that it reduces blood sugar and cholesterol and improves protection against cell damage.
- Cardiovascular Benefits: Moringa leaf powder has heart benefits, particularly in controlling lipids in the blood, preventing plaque formation in the arteries, and reduced cholesterol levels.
- Brain Health: It promotes good health and brain function and improves nerves due to its antioxidants and neuro-enhancers. It has also been tested as a treatment for Alzheimer’s disease with favorable preliminary results (source). The high content of Vitamins E and C combat oxidation that leads to nerve degeneration, improving the mind’s functionality. They are also able to normalize the neurotransmitters of serotonin, dopamine, and noradrenaline in the brain, who play a key role in memory, mood, organ function, stimulus reactions such as anxiety and pleasure and mental health, for example in depression and psychosis.
- Liver protection: Moringa contains high concentrations of polyphenols that protect the Liver from oxidation, toxicity, and lesions. Moringa oil can restore normal levels of liver enzymes by reducing oxidative stress and increasing protein content in the liver.
- Antimicrobial and Antibacterial: Moringa has proven effective in fighting infections with skin fungi, blood bacteria and urinary tract, and digestive problems.
- Wound Healing: Moringa has blood-clotting properties and helps heal wounds. It reduces the time it takes to stop bleeding from abrasions, cuts, and wounds.
Moringa Consumption Side Effects
Moringa leaf extracts are usually safe to use and produce minimal side effects if any. WebMD notes that moringa has been used safely at doses of up to 6 grams daily for up to 3 weeks. However, the root of Moringa should be avoided (moringa oleifera supplements are made with the leaf of the plant).
Moringa & Pregnancy
Pregnant women or women who may become pregnant should avoid taking moringa, as they may cause complications in pregnancy or even miscarriage. Lactating women should consult their doctor before taking moringa oleifera.
Moringa Nutrition Value
Below is a table that shows Moringa’s Nutrition Value. As we can see only 10 grams (about 2 tablespoons) has almost 160% of Vitamin K, and almost 70% of Vitamin E – of the Recommended Daily Intake. Also, high in Fiber and Protein.
How Moringa Powder is Made
In this video, you can see how a Cambodian supplement manufacturing company makes Moringa Oleifera Supplements in tablet form. In the video, you can see the powder phase – before actually compressed and become tablets. This video will help you understand how Moringa Powder Supplements are made.
How to make moringa powder at home
In this video, you will learn how to make moringa powder at home.
How to consume Moringa
Moringa can be consumed as a dietary supplement or added in a powder form in juices, smoothies, and beverages. It can also be consumed as a tea or as a seasoning in food. Finally, many are also those who use it instead of flour in their sweets.
Moringa can also be applied directly to the skin to combat germs. It also acts as a drying medium (astringent). Finally, use locally to treat abscesses, athlete’s foot (foot fungi), dandruff, gum disease (gingivitis), snakebite and wounds.
Where to Buy Moringa Powder From
You can buy moringa from hundreds of online shops. Some Moringa Olifeira Powders we suggest are:
- 100% Raw Organic Moringa Olifeira Leaf Powder from India by Feel Good Organics, with over 2000 reviews on Amazon and an average score of 4.5/5.
- Raw, Organic, Non-GMO Moringa Olifeira Leaf Powder from India by MRM. You can get this product from PureFormulas.com.
- Organic Moringa Natural Green Superfood 100% Pure Leaf Powder. This product is selling on ebay.com directly from Angry Supplements, a top-rated seller.
We hope you enjoyed our article on ehat is Moringa and its health benefits. Moringa is sure one of nature’s power tools that you need to add to your immunization arsenal. If you enjoyed this article, please share it with the rest of the world and help us spread our cause.
We аll bruѕh our tееth. We dо it firѕt thing in the mоrning after gеtting uр. But before we hit the dаilу сhоrе, dо wе check itѕ еffесtѕ on оur…
In this article, we are going to explain how to whiten teeth without baking soda. There are many people who are afraid to use baking soda to whiten their teeth…
In this Magnesium Breakthrough Review, we are reviewing – extensively – another supplement by BiOptimizers – the company that brought us MassZymes 3.0 Enzymes Supplement. Magnesium Breakthrough is probably the…
20% of the world’s population suffers from tinnitus. I bet you do too. This is why you are here after all. You heard about this supplement that treats tinnitus and…
Are you looking for the best Green Juice to buy but you don’t know which one is to choose from? Don’t worry, you are not alone. This is why we…
This forward head posture fix review is written by one of the many contributing authors to our website. If you would like to be a contributing author, click here. Hi…
Did you know that according to the National Kidney Foundation, chronic kidney disease or CKD, causes more deaths than breast cancer or prostate cancer? In our ”The Kidney Disease Solution…
🤞 The article Okinawa Flat Belly Tonic Review tries to shed some light on the product and the philosophy behind it. The intent of our Okinawa Flat Belly Tonic Review…